Sunday, August 15, 2010

Monsoon in PNG :(

I’m in exquisite Papua New Guinea. I’m travelling around the whole country and am currently in the city of Lae. So far I have also been to Port Moresby.
The weather has been really humid, with torrential rains every day. I had a feeling visiting a country like Papua New Guinea during Monsoon season was probably not the best idea.


Sadly, the heavy rains were just the beginning. Only a mere day after visiting beautiful Lae the rain started and it persisted. The sky has become constantly dark and the wind is so strong it can knock you off your feet. The whole city is flooded and everything is practically under water. So for the moment I have to had to move a bit further north where the land is higher until the water subsides.

This is not exactly the holiday I was hoping for. I really don't like rain and if the whole of Papua New Guinea is like this, I may have to end my trip earlier than planned. When I was listening to the radio earlier this morning, the broadcaster said that the water isn't thought to go away for another few days. Sitting in a smelly, crowded hostel with 300 other people isn't the Papua New Guinean getway I imagined before leaving Melbourne.

Fingers crossed, the water will subside quicker than suspected.


Andie

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... Bad luck :P. Hope it stops raining so you can have some fun!

    ReplyDelete